Alpha Zeta Chapter of Sigma Sigma was installed February 17, 1928. AZ was established at Northwestern that was know as the Louisiana State Normal School.
Charter members were: Florence Allemon, Lillian Carter, Mary Jane Carter, Ann Cook, June Cooley, Bess Fitzgerald, Minnie Fomley, Henrietta Forston, Ora Garland, Chelsea Gates, Dorothy Gordon, Eva Gordon, Mary Heard, Neva Knighton, Agnes Lyons, Claudia Scarborough, Martha Litchfield, Lucille Mertz, Clem Rodgers, Violet Savers, Gertrude Spencer, Ermie Tant, Zelphis Wilson, and Mary Catherine Winters, Total membership of Alpha Zeta has increased greatly from the small number that we once had.
Before receiving its charter, Alpha Zeta Chapter was known as Phi Upsilon Social Sorority. Mary Parker Bell and Ida Belle Dowdell were the national officers installing this new chapter. At this time Northwestern was still the Normal College. The campus has grown tremendously since then...from one administration building and two dorms to what you see now! Alpha Zeta's first meetings were held in a two-story frame building along with four other sororities. Each sorority had a room, and was allowed to decorate and furnish. In 1942, the Alpha Zeta chapter purchased a newly constructed lodge on campus for meetings and social events. In 1974, the Alpha Zeta's built a brand new house on Greek Hill. After the chapter grew out of that house alumni built another brand new lodge in 2013 which the chapter still maintains on Organization Row.